How Do I Apply For CPP Disability Benefits?

Service Canada has streamlined the application process forCPP Disability Benefits by compiling all of the previously required forms. Only two forms are now required to be filled out in order to begin your application.


ISP1151 – CPP Disability Benefits Form

ISP2519 – Medical Reporting Form


Both of these applications can be found on the Service Canada Website


The application included a general information guide to help you fill out the details on the form. The guide includes these sections:

  • The application for CCPD asks for basic information about the applicant and any dependent children. It also asks for information about the applicant's medical and employment history
  • A medical report that has to be completed by the doctor who is familiar with your disability.

It is important to fill out these applications as soon as you can. The date you send your application in impacts when your benefits start. If you need help with this process do not hesitate to contact us. We are happy to assist you with your application process.




If you think that you will need extra time to complete all of the parts of your application, you can still send in the parts that are done as soon as they are ready.


Sometimes the CPP uses the date that you send in the first part of your application as the date that you applied. This can help you receive more benefits or get benefits for a longer period of time. For example, you might need to finish some of the forms, but if your doctor has finished the medical report you should go ahead and send that part in. Then later on once it is complete you send in the rest of the forms that you have filled out. Make a note when you send each piece of information that is part of your application kit.



The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) disability benefits application kit asks for a lot of detailed information about how your disability affects you. It’s important to explain as clearly as you can how your disability stops you from working. If you do not do this, they may not agree to give you benefits.


To qualify for CPP disability benefits your disability must be both severe (not able to work at all or are not able to work on a regular basis, only being able to earn a small amount) and prolonged (your disability is likely to last a long unknown amount of time or it will eventually cause your death).




The General Practitioner (GP): The advantage of using information from your General Practitioner is that they are probably the doctor who knows you the best. As well, if you have more than one disabling condition the GP may have the best understanding of how your disabilities impact your ability to work.


THE SPECIALIST: The advantage of getting information from your specialist (e.g. psychiatrist, neurologist or surgeon) is that they usually have more in-depth knowledge of your specific condition.


However, specialists will usually only provide information on the condition that they are treating and may not know how your disabilities impact your day-to-day life. Your specialist also may only see you once or twice, so they may not know you as well compared to your General Practitioner.


Your medical practitioners have the choice of returning the completed medical report to you or they can submit it directly. We suggest that you ask your doctor to return the Medical Report to you so that you can send it directly. This will help avoid any confusion and possible delays in processing your application.




If your condition is terminal, you need to complete the TerminalIllness Application Kit which contains an application form and an attestation form that needs to be completed by you or your representative and your attending physician respectively.


Once these forms are filled out, send them to your nearest ServiceCanada.





You can include additional documentation with your application. However, you will need to review these extra documents carefully.It will not help your application if the medical reports are out of date or if a doctor indicates that you will be able to return to work in the near future.


Other health professionals (chiropractors, physiotherapists or psychologists) can be asked to provide support letters and information that describes how your disability impacts your daily life and ability to work. This can be very useful information to add to your case.


Friends and family can also be asked to provide letters but know that this information is often considered to be secondary importance.




A complete application will include:

  • The application for disability benefits
  • The questionnaire for disability benefits
  • The authorization to disclose information/consent for medical evaluation
  • The medical report
  • The child-rearing dropout provision form (if relevant)
  • Another other supporting documentation that you have obtained





When filling out your application there are some things that you must remember to do.

  • Make sure that your SIN is written on the top of every page of your application that requires it
  • If you need to provide documentation, make sure that you send in Certified True Copies of these documents (the application form provides details on how to create these certified copies)
  • You should not wait for your medical practitioners to complete your Medical Reporting Form before sending in your application. Waiting may impact your time-based certified copies).

As I said earlier, if you are in the application or appeals process and need some information on how to proceed, do not hesitate to contact our office. We are here to help you!


Do You Have a Case?

DCAC will assess your particular situation and provide prompt feedback on your chances of a positive outcome.